Pages

Tuesday, July 20, 2010

Helen on 'Roids

For time:
Run 1200 meters (1320m)
63 Kettlebell swings, 1.5 pood
36 Pull-ups
Run 800 meters
42 Kettlebell swings, 1.5 pood
24 Pull-ups
Run 400 meters
21 Kettlebell swings, 1.5 pood
12 Pull-ups


Result: 29:59 (KB 1pood)


Hot, Hot, HOT!


The weather was pretty humid despite the sun not in sight. After a quick warm-up, I went straight into the workout. 


I took the first run comfortably and getting the foot strike in place. My focus was getting the rhythm of the feet and the landing. As I normally run in my Vibrams via the Pose Method of Running, running in my ZigTech felt different.  I felt like I was running on marshmellows : soft, bouncy and springy. I didn't feel the pounding on the ground as I would if I were running in other shoes (Brand M & N). I felt light and comfortable for this short run! Cool! Any runs lesser than 5km(30mins) is considered short to me.


My foot strikes was on the forefoot and focused on lifting. I felt good in the shoes and it supported me well in the run. I made sure I tied the laces right to the top of the shoes so that I didn't have to adjust the foot during the workout.


For the KB Swings, the initial 30 swings(of the 63-straight swings) were quite comfy. Then when the next few reps came in,  the mid-foot tendon started feeling a bit weird and tight. Somewhat of a plantar fascia strain at below the arch of the foot. The shoe didn't support my flat feet for this exercise and my feet were struggling to get a grip on into the ground. Just imagine trying to walk in sand. Your toes will be fighting to feel the ground and stay in balance. It was just slightly disturbing to the flow of the movement, but not that it held me back from doing the workout. Always been trained to work hard and just do my best! :)


I got used to the shoes and had to adapt to the technicalities of the shoe as it incorporated the balancing element. For the 42 & 21 Swings, i didn't feel as unbalanced as during the 63 Swings. However, I had to spend more energy trying to stabilize the body and the movement of the weights. 


FYI, KB Swings are considered as a weightlifting element that conditions the total body from top to toe. See video below for better understanding of the KB Swing.


KB Swing


For pull ups, it gave me the height advantage! The bar is set at 7ft. The thickness of the sole made it easier for me to reach for the bar. (Yes, I'm short and I cannot reach the bar!) Usually I'd have to stand on 2 5kg-weight plates to reach for the bar. See photo below for the plates behind my left foot. Jumping and reaching for the bar is just a waste of energy on the grips and forearms! 


Overall, it was a SMOKIN' workout! Getting Ziggy with it!


Rate: 7/10
Pros: Running was easy/weightless, Easy reach for pull up bar.
Cons: Plantar fascia strain felt during KB swings.


Up, up and away!

No comments:

Post a Comment